Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Having a moment...or two!



Lost passwords, computer glitches and other fun things have delayed me in starting my blog today.  Or at least those are the physical things I can "blame" it on for now.  Even as I type this the screen is in a grey color I have never encountered and I just had a pop up box say "Highlight the problem."  Okay, now that's funny, laugh out loud funny since that was what I was going to write on today...the problem (so let me highlight it for you).  

Yesterday after a wonderful workout, blog post and productive day I had an "Oh no, what have I done moment!" Sort of like the one I had after my 3rd blog post recently.  I felt vulnerable and had that squirmy feeling in the pit of my stomach that accompanies the little voice whispering, "Hide...there's still time...hide."  

Even as I type that the "grown up" in me scoffs slightly and says, "Just a little Drama Darling?"  

Back to the vulnerability.  My dear friend, Cynthia, offered to help with my flyer for my upcoming Fall Women's Retreat - she is delightful and so was the flyer she produced in a remarkably quick time.  I was in business.  I have been facilitating women's retreats in Georgia for the past four years and attending them for over 13 years in Texas at Earthsprings with mentor and friend, Glenda Taylor.  Retreats are one of my passions.  So what is the problem you say?  When I saw my flyer on Facebook, for what it felt like all the world to see, it induced a bit of panic.  The usual gremlins whispering, "Who are you to do this?" To which I always say, "I am the person willing too!"  and the other fun one, "What if no one shows up?"  To which I respond, "Then you must be in need of a solitary retreat and that will be delightful." 

Today as I write this it seems a bit silly.  Yet I know for myself and other artists that putting ourselves out into the world can sometimes be intimidating.  I know I have the skills, the heart and the time to create this magical weekend for others and I am willing to offer it to other women and the universe.  So I sit here breathing deeply and comforting myself that all will be well superb and that taking the first steps is key to creating anything.

Brené Brown's third book Daring Greatly
(which is a must read by the way) has the following Leadership Manifesto which I sought out in this moment to give me courage (and you can find a printed copy on her website www.brenebrown.com):

The Daring Greatly Leadership Manifesto

To the CEOs and teachers. To the principals and the managers. The the politicians, community leaders, and decision-makers:

We want to show up, we want to learn, and we want to inspire.
We are hardwired for connection, curiosity, and engagement.
We crave purpose, and we have a deep desire to create and contribute.
We want to take risks, embrace our vulnerabilities, and be courageous.
When learning and working are dehumanized- when you no longer see us and no longer encourage our daring, or when you only see what we produce or how we perform - we disengage and turn away from the very things that the world needs from us:  our talent, our ideas, and our passion.
What we ask is that you engage with us, show up beside us, and learn from us.
Feedback is a function of respect; when you don't have honest conversations with us about our strengths and our opportunities for growth we question our contributions and your commitment.

Above all else, we ask that you show up, let yourself be seen, and be courageous.  Dare Greatly with us.  

That last line truly speaks to me in this moment and I say, "YES!  I WILL show up.  For the Retreat , https://www.facebook.com/events/404559516310918/, for the Interplay Secrets Weekend and Leadership training, https://www.facebook.com/events /473071402789566/ and for all the other things I have a passion for including my girl scouts, my new blog and my fun, active life.  I WILL let myself be seen (even if I'm shaking in my boots a little), I WILL be courageous and you need to know...I will be daring greatly! 

What do you have going on in your life where you want to dare greatly?  I'd love to hear about it.

Hugs and a high-five,

Christine

2 comments:

  1. Geezzzz! You keep writing these marvelous, inspirational posts! I feel like the timidity I was experiencing earlier today is shared yet also can be overcome because there is someone like you writing about it!

    We are definitely SOUL SISTERS! Thanks for the uplifting words. I love Brene Brown and need to check this new book out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ruth - I knew the moment we met we were soul sisters :)

    ReplyDelete