Saturday, June 28, 2014

Creating Day #8 - I see you Free!

A beautiful garden as you go from the parking lot to the church

Dear friends,

Today was an AWESOME day!  This morning my friend +Ellen McCorkle came and helped me pack up my kitchen so I accomplished something on the house first thing!  Then I dashed off for an Interplay Improv Troupe Performance for the "I See you...Free" conference at the First Congregational Church in downtown Atlanta. 

The program from the event


 First Congregational church is one of the oldest African American churches in Atl and they played a big role in the Civil Rights Movement.  Today's conference was celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

One of the oldest churches in ATL
This beautiful quilt hangs outside of the sanctuary

This beautiful artwork greeted us in the rehearsal room.

  


After the performance with the alter in the back - our stage!

Parking lot pic - showing our strength pose!
























The Picture to the right was taken after warm up.  

Our role today was to do Interplay Improv dance as readers spoke an excerpt from Pearl Cleage's poem "We Speak Your Names"
The service was moving, inspiring and AMAZING!  Oh, the places that Interplay takes us!
We met Joan C. Browning, one of the freedom riders, and Mary Frances Early, the first African American woman to graduate from the University of Georgia.  This conference was about women speaking up and making a difference.  It was a spirit filled ceremony that I was honored to be a part of.

Their message was about equality, honoring the work done by women, and men, in the past and the work that continues to be done today.

It was a call to action that I am happy to respond too.  Today as I am filled with love and gratitude from this ceremony I am holding the vision of freedom for all people oppressed in our country and around the world and "I see you free."

Wrapping you around with infinite love and freedom,

Christine



 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your experience Christine. I feel your sense of joy and awe in being a part of something so important and so awe inspiring. I'm so proud of you women - I can't wait to see you in Atlanta next month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sheila for your words and continuing support and inspiration. I'm excited I'll be seeing you soon!

    ReplyDelete